Breast Augmentation Bloomington, Illinois
Breast augmentation is one of the most commonly performed cosmetic surgery procedures at Twin City Plastic Surgery in Bloomington, IL, allowing women with smaller or naturally uneven breasts to enjoy a fuller, better-proportioned appearance. Additionally, many women choose to undergo breast augmentation after losing breast volume during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Breast implants are also used to reconstruct a breast after a mastectomy or lumpectomy.
Breast Implant Procedure
Breast augmentation involves the placement of silicone or saline implants into the breast to increase the size of the breast by one or more cup sizes. Patients can customize their procedure by choosing the size, shape, texture, and placement of the implants. The breast augmentation procedure is performed under general anesthesia and takes less than an hour. It can also be combined with other procedures, such as a breast lift, to maximize results.
Silicone vs. Saline Implants
When deciding between silicone and saline breast implants, many patients find that:
- Silicone gel implants look and feel more like a natural breast, although the choice is completely that of the patient.
- Silicone implants tend to be less prone to tears than their saline counterparts.
- One disadvantage of silicone implants is that they are pre-filled and generally require a slightly longer initial incision.
- Silicone implants will not deflate when ruptured, any tear to the implant may not be immediately apparent. For this reason, it is recommended that women with silicone breasts implants undergo an MRI three years after surgery, and every two years thereafter to check for implant ruptures.
- When ruptured, saline implants deflate partially or completely and since saline implants are inflated after insertion while inside the breast pocket, surgical incisions when compared to silicone implants may be smaller.
- Saline implants can often be utilized to correct issues in breast asymmetry as their sizes can be adjusted according to need.
Most recently, the FDA has approved the use of form-stable, “Gummy Bear,” breast implants. These implants are silicone gel-filled and are produced in various shapes to simulate natural appearing breast contours. Form-stable silicone gel implants have a textured surface so they “stick” to the surrounding tissue, maintaining position and breast shape.
In all cases, one of our board-certified plastic surgeons will consult with you to determine the breast implant type, breast implant size, and incision site and method most appropriate for your needs, desires, and body type.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
Patients can expect to return to driving, work, and most normal activities after only a weekend of recovery. A support bra will be required to be worn throughout the entire post-operative recovery period, however, and cardio/high impact aerobic exercise and all normal activities can normally be resumed within 6-8 weeks.
“They did a wonderful job. I would highly recommend Dr Randolph and her staff.” – Shelly
“Going to Twin City Plastic Surgery was absolutely one of the best decisions I’ve made in my life…” – Tina
“The bedside manner at Twin City Plastic Surgery was the best that I’ve ever experienced…” – Marie
Call (309) 662-6772 for more information about receiving a breast augmentation surgery in Bloomington, IL